Meraki MS Switches, Experience cloud-managed networking. Enterprise-grade features for any size organization. Discover now.
Posted Thursday, July 13, 2023
Empowering Nonprofits with Meraki MS Switches
Meraki MS Switches is a line of cloud-managed switches produced by Cisco Meraki, which is a division of Cisco Systems. These switches are designed to provide enterprise-grade network access and connectivity to organizations of all sizes, from small businesses to large enterprises. In this blog post, we will dive deep into the features and benefits of Meraki MS switches, as well as their use cases and customer reviews.
Features and Benefits
One of the key features of Meraki MS switches is their cloud-managed architecture. This allows for easy configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting of the network, as all the switches are managed through a centralized web-based dashboard. This means that there is no need for on-premises management software, and network administrators can manage the network remotely from anywhere with an internet connection.
Layer 3 Routing Capabilities
Another important feature of Meraki MS switches is their Layer 3 routing capabilities. This allows for the creation of virtual networks, which can be segmented to provide different levels of access to different groups of users or devices. This helps to keep the network secure and prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data.
Quality Of Services Controls
Meraki MS switches also support Quality of Service (QoS) controls, which allow for the prioritization of network traffic based on its importance. This ensures that critical applications and services, such as voice and video conferencing, are given priority over less important traffic, such as file downloads.
Power Over Ethernet (PoE)
In addition to these features, Meraki MS switches also support Power over Ethernet (PoE), which allows for the powering of devices such as IP phones, wireless access points, and security cameras over the Ethernet cable. This eliminates the need for separate power cables and reduces clutter, making the network easier to manage and maintain.
- Range of enterprise switching options built on proven Cisco hardware technologies
- Basic layer 2 to high-performance layer 3 switches with up to 40 GbE uplinks on access
and up to 100 GbE on aggregation switches, suitable for deployments of all size
- True zero-touch configuration model that scales with organization needs
- Integrated troubleshooting tools, logging, and alerting reduce operational costs
- Energy-efficient design with low acoustics and fanless options
- Flexible stacking for scaled configuration and high performance in one
- Cloud management reduces cost, overhead, and time to resolution
- Industry-standard features allow for simple integration into existing and mixed
- Role-based administration and automatic, secure firmware updates delivered
via the web
- Stack power, improved physical stacking, and multigigabit options on select models
Inside the Meraki MS
Meraki MS switches feature high-end hardware and an exceptional feature set, including:
- Options for fixed and modular uplinks: 1 GbE, 10
GbE, and 40 GbE uplink ports for high-speed
connectivity to aggregation-layer switches or
other upstream devices
- Optional multigigabit ports providing up to 10
Gbps on a single cable, supporting the latest
Wi-Fi performance capabilities
- Wire-speed, non-blocking switch fabric (up to
800 Gbps), and six dedicated QoS queues for
high-performance, converged voice, video, and
- Power-efficient, quiet acoustic designs and
shallow rack-depth options enable flexible
deployment in wiring closets as well as offices
- Fanless design on select models
- Power over Ethernet, PoE+, and UPoE
- Up to 740W PoE budget with PoE+ support
for powering APs, phones, cameras, and other
PoE-enabled devices (124W for 120-8 series),
with 830W available on the MS390 UPoE model
- Lifetime hardware warranty and advanced
replacement at no additional cost
- Field-replaceable, hot-swappable power
supplies and fans; RPS option for missioncritical applications; stack power on select
models for added resilience
Powerful feature set for deployments of all types
Meraki switches include all of the traditional Ethernet features found on the highest-end
- Quality-of-service (QoS) to prioritize mission-critical traffic such as voice and video
- IEEE 802.1x support for port-based network access control
- MAC-based RADIUS auth and MAC allowlisting
- Voice VLAN support for simplified VoIP deployments
- Port mirroring support for monitoring network traffic at line rate
- DHCP snooping to prevent users from adding unauthorized DHCP
servers on the network
- IGMP snooping to optimize network performance with multicast traffic
- Link aggregation control protocol (LACP) for high-capacity trunking, stacking,
and increased availability
- Rapid spanning tree protocol (RSTP), BPDU guard, root guard, and other safeguards
to help prevent misconfigurations and reduce convergence time
- Per port VLAN configuration
- Multiple administrative roles with sophisticated security policy management
- High-performance layer 3 routing capabilities on select models
Meraki MS Switches Portafolio
Meraki access switching portfolio
Meraki stackable access switching portfolio
Meraki aggregation switching portfolio
Meraki MS switches are used in a variety of industries and organizations, from small businesses to large enterprises. They are particularly well-suited for organizations that need to manage multiple locations or remote sites, as the cloud-based management allows for easy management and monitoring of all the switches from a single dashboard.
One use case for Meraki MS switches is in the education sector. Schools and universities often have large and complex networks, with multiple buildings and campuses. Meraki MS switches allow for easy management and monitoring of these networks, and their Layer 3 routing capabilities allow for the segmentation of the network to provide different levels of access to students, faculty, and staff.
Another use case for Meraki MS switches is in healthcare. Hospitals and clinics often have strict security and compliance requirements, and Meraki MS switches can help to ensure that the network is secure and compliant. The Layer 3 routing capabilities can be used to segment the network to provide different levels of access to different groups of users, while the QoS controls can be used to prioritize critical applications and services.
One additional use case for Meraki MS switches is in the hospitality industry. Hotels and resorts often require a reliable and high-performance network to support guests' needs. Meraki MS switches can help to ensure that the network is fast, secure, and easy to manage. The cloud-based management allows for easy configuration and monitoring of the network, while the QoS controls can be used to prioritize critical applications, such as online booking systems or video streaming services. Additionally, the PoE support allows for the powering of devices such as wireless access points and IP phones, which can help to reduce clutter and simplify network management.
Meraki MS switches have received mostly positive reviews from customers. One customer, a network administrator at a large retail company, praised the ease of use and flexibility of the switches, saying: "Meraki MS switches have made our network management so much easier. The cloud-based management is a game-changer, and the Layer 3 routing capabilities have allowed us to segment our network and provide different levels of access to different groups of users."
Another customer, a network administrator at a healthcare organization, praised the security and compliance features of the switches, saying: "Meraki MS switches have helped us to ensure that our network is secure and compliant. The Layer 3 routing capabilities have allowed us to segment our network and control access, while the QoS controls have allowed us to prioritize critical applications and services."
Meraki MS switches Conclusion
Meraki MS switches are a powerful and flexible solution for organizations of all sizes that need to manage complex networks. Their cloud-based management, Layer 3 routing capabilities, QoS controls, and PoE support make them a versatile and reliable choice for a wide range of use cases. Customer reviews have been mostly positive, with users praising the ease of use, flexibility, and security features of the switches. Whether you're a small business or a large enterprise, Meraki MS switches are definitely worth considering for your network infrastructure.